Here is what you will need:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter/ margarine
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract (was out subbed with flavoring)
- 4 bananas
- 1 graham cracker crust
If you want to top it with whipping cream you will also need:
- 2 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/4 tsp salt.
2. Add 2 cups milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. It will also begin to feel more thick. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes (remember to keep stirring), and then remove from the burner.
3. Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the 3 beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Be sure to mix hot mix into the eggs before putting them in the mixture. If you neglect to do this, the eggs may get clumpy.
4. Cook for 2-3 more minutes; remember to keep stirring to keep the bottom from burning.
5. Remove the mixture from heat and add 2 tbsp margarine and 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Stir until smooth. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
6. Slice bananas into the graham cracker crust while the pudding is cooling.
7. Chop the rest of the banana into small chunks and add to pudding.
8. Smooth pudding mix into the graham cracker crust. Put it in fridge to set overnight, or if you are short on time put it in the freezer for a few hours.
Directions to make whipping cream:
9. Use an electric mixer to beat 2 cups heavy whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form. If you haven't done this before, you may not know what I mean by stiff peaks. Just watch as you beat. You will notice that it will begin to stiffen.
Wrap it up:
11. Once pie has chilled overnight in the fridge, or for a few hours in the freezer, top with whipped cream.
12. And of course the most important step: ENJOY!
Let me know if you decide to try it out! Thank you for reading. Take care and God bless!