Tuesday, September 25, 2012

No Gifts Please!


I know that many of you read about The Princess' Candyland Birthday Party. What I didn't write about in that post was how amazingly precious and sweet my little girl is. Maybe my calling her "The Princess" makes her sound a little spoiled? And some people might argue that she is, but her gift request this year was truly selfless and I think I can honestly say that she may be a Princess, but she's not spoiled!


About a month before the party, The Princess came up to me and said, "Mommy, instead of presents, this year I want people to bring coats for homeless people to keep them warm. Hats and Scarves too!" A friend of hers had made a similar request and she really liked the idea. My response to her was, "Are you sure honey? Don't you want presents?" What kid doesn't want presents?!? She sweetly replied, "I have enough things mom, I don't need anything."

So this year, I added a special request to her birthday invitations: In lieu of gifts to please bring a warm coat and a canned food donation for those in need.

She got a couple small gifts, but everyone brought a coat! We have a huge bag of brand new children's coats to donate and lots of canned foods. The Princess was so excited after the party. She said, "We're going to keep a lot of kids warm this winter!"

I think we can all take a lesson from The Princess. She definitely made me think... If your little one has a birthday coming up, maybe you can suggest the idea to them. They may pleasantly surprise you with what they choose to do. :)

Thank you for reading! Take care and God bless!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Well done Momma! You are raising a princess fit to become a queen! So selfless. I will definitely be doing this.

    Oh, and I Love your new layout too. It's fabulousness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fit to be Queen! Love it! :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea, and totally awesome that your daughter decided on doing something so selfless on her own accord!

    Stopping by from Tuesday Tango!

    Rachel
    http://polkadotsandlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm a new follower from the blog hop and would love a follow back at www.sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com Don't forget to follow me on twitter & Pinterest. I follow back all of my twitter & Pinterest followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a GREAT idea and a wonderful thing for young children to learn! I would be so proud of my child for even suggesting this! What a special little girl you have!! Newest follower from the GFC blog hop. Would love it if you could visit my humorous blog site and follow me back--I'd be super grateful if you could. Thanks for sharing! http://Menopauslmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I have been following your blog, you are too funny! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. Aww, she is so sweet. What a great idea, I hope we can do this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, so sweet. This is my first time to your blog so I'm not sure how old your princess is, but I can only hope that one of my two girls (or my son!), will come to me with this request one day. You should be a proud mama:)

    http://myinfertileworldsm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great great job! I know I am late but I am finding your cute blog from the GFC Hop!! Follow me back and lets be friends!
    Excited to see what other fab posts you come up with!!
    xox
    Ash@ABpetite
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/2012/09/skinny-chicken-cordon-bleu-pasta.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just checked out your blog and I'm loving it! Can't wait to try the Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. :)

      Delete
  8. This is so beautiful. I just love it! My son last year wanted to donate toys to children for the Christmas drive. It is amazing how are children are always so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so awesome and so sweet of your daughter! My daughter's birthday is this Sunday but I didn't think to do anything like this :( We have plans to do something similar for Christmas though. Thanks for linking up with us on the Friendly Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, happy birthday to your daughter! There is always next year. :)

      Delete
  10. Awww!!! So sweet!

    Hi! I'm a new member of your lovely blog.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful idea! I'm so glad you linked up to the Mommy-Brain Mixer, sweet lady! I'm your newest follower and I hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie! I'll be back, love finding other awesome mommy blogs. :)

      Delete
  12. Kids are wonderful and amazing, aren't they? You must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete