Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Still lapping the everybody on the couch!


Love this quote. It's on the wall at my gym. I honestly thought it was lame when I first saw it, but that's probably because I was that person on the couch who went to the gym once in a blue moon....

This past March I stepped on the scale. To my horror, I was only 5 lbs away from my full term baby weight!! YIKES!!!!
 After I had The Princess, I dropped all of my baby weight within 6 months and kept it off for 2 years. Then, I divorced and dropped even more weight and was thinner than I had ever been as an adult. Then... I met my fiance. He was so amazing and I was happier than I had ever been and with that happiness came 30 lbs. It happened slowly, but over the course of 4 years that 30 lbs slowly crept up on this unsuspecting love stuck momma. How the hell did that happen????!!

When I stepped on the scale and saw that, I knew that something had to be done! I joined a weight loss challenge, went on a diet and lost 10 lbs but plateaued at that. I tried working out, but kept falling off the wagon over and over. I was desperate to try anything, so I joined a couch to 5k program. I have never been a runner, but I've always thought that if I could get through that initial difficulty, I could love it. I joined the couch to 5 k program in June and in July I ran my first 5k with a time of 36 minutes. I was hooked. Running is so addicting. I don't know what it is but I just feel amazing after a run. It's like an instant de-stresser for me. I'm slow, but like the quote says, I'm still lapping everyone on the couch. An added bonus is that I lost another 10 lbs.

Early last month I ran another 5k with a time of 33 minutes and decided to sign up for a 10k in October. Then, a couple weeks ago, I injured my foot. Don't laugh, but I was playing with The Princess in an indoor jungle gym. I was climbing over an obstacle and when I dropped down, my foot hit the hard flooring between the mats. I took a couple weeks off because just walking was painful. My foot still hurts a bit, but last night I just had to go for a run. I only ran 2.5 miles, but it felt good to get back out there. My foot hurt, but after icing it for a bit it felt okay. The injury feels like an excuse and I've decided that I am going to push myself and continue training for the 10k. I put on about 5 lbs while I've been down, but the funny thing is I'm a lot less focused on my weight and more focused on the goal of completing the 10k.

I totally recommend a couch to 5k program for anyone out there who wants to start running. I was completely out of shape when I started, and was able to run the full 3.1 miles by the end of the 5 weeks. I have 8 weeks to whip my butt into shape for this 10k. Wish me luck!! If any of the runners out there have any tips for my training, I'd love to hear them! Take care and God bless!
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

5 comments:

  1. Wish I could relate with you but I very prefer my couch! LOL I will never ever be a runner...and I really hate running. I'd rather calorie count hahaha just ask my hubby! I don't know why maybe it was in my family but I was never allowed to do any sports or competition because they had to travel and my mom refused to let me travel anywhere...so...lazy me was born LOL

    But congratulations to you for running and you made me giggle that you hurt your foot but I know it's not funny it's just something I would have done...I'm really clumsy! ehehe gooodluck on the 10k i know ur gonna rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, I always hated running before, but now I'm loving it! I never did sports either. I'm so far from athletic that it's sad. That's probably why I hurt my foot! Haha!

    Thank you! Hopefully you are right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful that you got motivated to get up and do it!! I'd love to find a program like that around where I live. I walk several miles a day but could never get that "rush" that runners feel when I jogged. I just ended up out of breath!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

      That's how I was before! You should google couch to 5k program in your area. They do it at a lot of gyms. The key for me was to get past that out of breath part and having a coach there to tell me to keep going helped so much!

      Delete
  4. It made me smile to read this post! I miss running with you, but can't wait to follow your training for your 10k and eventually a marathon. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete