Friday, September 21, 2012

How I started cake decorating... but it's not a Jasmine cake!

I have always loved to bake, but it had never crossed my mind to decorate my own cakes. My mother wasn't a baker and when she did make a box of cake mix the most we ever did to decorate a cake was slap some frosting on it. NOT knocking it, I loved those cakes!

For The Princess' 4th birthday party (she's now 7), I had planned a big carnival party. I looked in the books at the bakeries and just could not find a cake design that I liked. So, I decided why not decorate one myself. After googling carnival cake images for hours, I realized that this was going to be a much bigger project than I had thought. I had never even heard of fondant, but I was determined to give it a try.


I started 2 days before the party. I baked  the first day, then the day before the party I decorated it. I started sometime in the afternoon, but ended up staying up all night. After hours and hours of work, this is what I came up with.



I loved decorating it and it was such an amazing feeling to finish and know that I had created this on my own. I thought for sure that The Princess would be thrilled! I was so excited to show it to her! The next day before the party, I let her see it. Her 4 year old response was,

"It's not a Jasmine cake.."

What?? What Jasmine cake? What is she talking about? My sleep deprived self could not help but burst into tears.

Once I was done crying I talked to her. She told me that she had wanted a Princess Jasmine cake. She never mentioned it, and she knew it was a carnival party, but for some reason wanted a Jasmine cake.

Lesson I learned from this: Never ever surprise her with a cake, again!

Since then, she helps me with the cake design so that we do not have any miscommunication!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no. This is beautiful and I can only IMAGINE how much work went into it. Her guests and their parents will appreciate it, and her reaction DOES make a great story... :) Enjoy the party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The guests did love it and she did too once she got over it not being a Jasmine cake, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Damn KIDS--LOLLL!!! I love the cake...great job...& way to make it a teachable moment. My Princess turned 12 on Tuesday. They grow up way too fast! Smooches, Cyn
    A.D.D. Music Mamma
    ADDMusicMamma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it does go by way too fast. Hard to believe that she is already 7! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete