Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Halloween Spooktacular!

Every year, for the last 3 years, we have hosted a Halloween Spooktacular aka costume party for all of the Princess' friends. It's always a blast, but I somehow forget every year how much work it is. This year, I kept it fairly simple and tried to keep the cost down. Hope to give you ideas for your Halloween Party!

Crafts


While guests arrived, I set out orange and green paper bags with a handle for the kids to decorate with Halloween foam stickers (purchased at Michaels) and crayons.

Once the children finished decorating their bags, we moved on to crafts.


Yay! Halloween crafts!

We did two crafts. Pumpkin picture frams and Halloween Bookmarks. I purchased both of these at Michaels for under $5 each. There was an age range of 3-10 at the party and all of the kids really enjoyed both crafts.



Food


On the evite, I asked parents to bring a spooky snack. There was a variety of fun  Halloween themed food!

Yum!


What I made

Mummy Dogs

Mummy Dogs-
I recall seeing these in a magazine years ago. This is my second year making them. They are so cute and the kids just love them! To make these, I wrapped a hot dog in croissant dough, twisting as I went around and leaving a gap near the top for the eyes to poke through. I used mustard to make the eyes.





Brew-ha-ha Punch



Brew-ha-ha Punch-
For drinks, I made Brew-ha-ha Punch, which I have pinned on my Halloween board on Pintrest. I have lots of other fun ideas on there, so you should totally check it out. It was very tasty and the color was awesome!










Favorite foods that guests brought


Strawberry Ghosts 
These have made it to the party three years in a row and are a big hit! Cute and so yummy!

Worms in Dirt
These are also on their third year, and it isn't for no reason. Chocolate!! Yum!

Creepy Spider Snack
This yummy snack was two crackers with peanut butter in between and pretzels for the spider legs.

Jack-o-lantern Fruit cups
I thought this was very creative and easy! Heading to a Halloween party, but don't have time to make something? Grab your sharpie and draw some jack-o-lantern faces on fruit cups!

Spooky Movie

After food, we put on a spooky movie for the kids to watch. It kept them entertained for about 45 minutes and then they got restless. I did learn that if you have a room full of kids who are "watching a movie", but are really just playing and starting to get too loud.. Just say, "This part is really spooky, so cover your eyes if you can't handle it..."

This is what happens:


 Everyone freezes and watches the movie...


It was another great party and all of the kids had a blast! Here is a group photo of all of the kids in costume.

Happy Halloween!

Do you have any annual Halloween parties or traditions? I would love to hear about them in a comment!






12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was yummy too! I just wish I would have gotten some dry ice to put under. Would have made it just a little cooler. :)

      Delete
  2. Those Mummy dogs also look perfect for a baby shower! Swaddle dogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have never thought of that! Perfect!

      Delete
  3. Awwwww that party looks perfect!!! Great job hun!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great party! I am looking forward to similar traditions as Jehryn grows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait for you. It's so fun. :)

      Delete
  5. Found you on the mommy brain mixer this week! Following and commenting from http://fluffimama.blogspot.com/
    I hope you'll come check me out and do the same. Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. The party looks great! Love the mummy dogs and strawberry ghosts! Great party ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There were some adorable ideas for food!

      Delete
  7. That looks like a mighty fun party with a lot of neat goodies. :) We just go to church festivals throughout our area every year. This year we're doing trick or treating at two local towns on Halloween.

    I think when our kids get older we'll consider trhwoing them a party if they ever gain close friends.

    ReplyDelete