Thursday, November 29, 2012

Do you have an elf?

We do! His name is Alfie. I had never heard of The Elf on the Shelf until last year when I saw a cute little elf sitting on a friend's mantle. I'm so glad that we discovered this special tradition because it has added so much excitement to our home during holiday season!

What is the Elf on the Shelf?


The Elf on The Shelf is a book written by, mother and daughter, Carol Aebersold and Chanda Bell. The book comes with an adorable little scout elf for you to adopt. 

Once you have adopted a scout elf, he or she stays at your home from Thanksgiving til Christmas. During the day, the
elf watches over the children in the home. At night he reports back to Santa at the North Pole and tells him whether the children have been naughty or nice. The only rule is that he can't be touched or he will lose his magic.

Here's the really fun part

When he returns to the home each night he hides in a new place!

Every morning when The Princess wakes up she excitedly searches for Alfie. She absolutely loves him and is such a believer. She wouldn't dare touch him, ever. She talks to him and even asked him to give Santa a letter for her. She was sad last Christmas when he had to go back to the North Pole, but I told her that he had to help Santa prepare for next Christmas. She was so excited for his return that she started asking about him before Halloween.

The Bonus

The Princess is on her BEST behavior when Alfie is around. When she does start to get sassy all I have to say is, "Alfie is watching...." and her attitude changes instantly! I'm tempted to keep him around all year, but I know his magic power over her would wear off if he was around too long.

Where's Alfie?






I thought that I was doing well with Alfie's hiding places, but then did a search on Pinterest. There are some really fun ideas!

Here is what my inspiration brought me to...




To be honest, until now, I was happy to not forget about the little guy... Looks like I'm going to have to get a little more creative with this!

Do you have an elf? What are some fun places that you have hidden him? I'd love to hear about other fun traditions your family has during the holiday season!

Thank you so much for reading! Take care and God bless!

15 comments:

  1. We just got our "Blue Blue" yesterday. I think I'll rename him the attitude adjuster. He is a magical little elf. We just finished our first hunt. So glad we added ours to our family traditions. Love the snow angel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an elf! His name is Tinker! Last year the kids loved it when he hid in the dryer and in a box of cereal. This year, so far he's just been hanging around where ever, but I have some creative ideas, thanks to pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it until recently! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We started the tradition this year and my daughter named him Buddy. I explained to her that she can't touch him, but every morning she moves him to the shelf! I don't think she likes him very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually considered getting an elf for our family. However, I think my 9 year old would give away the secret that the elf really can't report anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep saying I want to get an Elf on the Shelf and I never remember! It's such a great holiday tradition! Thanks for sharing yours!
    Megan@ Momssurvivingkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute elf!

    I'm a new follower from the friendly friday blog hop! :)

    www.thislifesbeautifulmoments.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom bought the elf for us, but we only used it for one year. My son is kinda sassy, and he always claimed the elf couldn't see him. Even when he was in the same room as the elf, he'd say, "But the elf isn't looking!" And, in truth, the elf never was looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is awesome! i wish i had a little person to do elf on the shelf with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had Elfel for a few years. Now that they understand you can't touch him, I've tried to be more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Blog Hop.
    Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ revampspunkyrena.blogspot.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just posted about our elf on the shelf. I don't think it is going to work with Averie though. Ha!

    http://www.thenaptimereview.com/2012/12/help-me-rhonda.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the follow. Following back.

    Our elf's name is Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks so much for stopping by and following with the mixer =) following you back !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello there! New follower to your blog and I'm happy to be here. We adopted an elf this year, his name is Toby. He's been a lot of fun to have around.

    Hop on over to my blog if you feel like it :)

    ReplyDelete