Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tooth Fairy Traditions

The Princess has another loose tooth so it's time to start thinking about tooth fairy duty again. This will be her third tooth when she loses it. She lost her first tooth last May and it was so fun to play tooth fairy! She is 7 years old and still believes in magic very strongly. I love it and want to keep that going as long as possible.

Flashback: First Lost Tooth

 
The first tooth she lost was loose for so long that the tooth below it started growing in. We were concerned, but the Dentist said that it wouldn't do any harm so we left it alone. She finally lost it in a restaurant after her piano recital last May. It was so exciting for her, especially because she had waited so long.

Playing Tooth Fairy


I loved being on fairy duty! She had heard a lot about the tooth fairy from her friends, so she already had an idea of what would happen. Before she went to bed we put her tooth in a zip lock bag under her pillow. Once she finally fell asleep, it was time to get to work.

I thought it would be cute if the Tooth Fairy left her a note, so I cut a corner of a piece of copy paper and wrote in tiny writing:

Dear Evalynn, Thank you for the nice clean tooth. Keep brushing and flossing.

Tooth Fairy <3

Then I rolled the money and wrapped the note around it. Then I tied white thread around it in a bow. It was really tricky to tie the thread, so with the next tooth, I used ribbon.

I tip toed into her room and made a trail of glitter going all around the room. Then carefully pulled the tooth out from under her pillow and put the money in it's place.

The next morning when she woke up the first thing she did was check under her pillow. She was so excited when she saw what the Tooth Fairy left. I think she was more excited about the note than the money!



I
 

Other Ideas

 
Now that another tooth is loose, there are a couple things I would like to do before she loses it.
 
 
 
The first thing I want to do is make a fairy door. I thought this idea was so cute! I love the idea of a magic portal in her bedroom. I think she would think it was the coolest thing ever. Found on Two Little Bunnies.
 
I also would like to make or buy a cute small bag to put her tooth in under her pillow. The zip lock bag works, but I would like to figure something out that is cuter.
 

What are your Tooth Fairy traditions?

I would love to hear about your tooth fairy traditions! If you have something special that you do, I'd love to hear about it in a comment.
 
Thanks for reading! Hopefully, I've inspired some future Tooth Fairies! ♥
 



46 comments:

  1. My goodness you really are such an amazing mother! The note of thanks and to keep brushing and flossing paired with the glitter... Genius! I do not have any traditions since my guy is still getting teeth. But, I have a feeling ill be incorporating your traditions into mine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are older so losing teeth wouldn't be a good thing. Here's a story though: when I was little the tooth fairy forgot to come once. I was inconsolable. My Mom explained that the Tooth Fairy sometimes gets too busy but always comes the next day and makes it worth your while. I wasn't buying. My Mom finally bought the tooth from me for my usual dollar (or whatever it was), made a big production of putting it under her own pillow and the next morning I found that the tooth fairy had left her $5. Boy was I mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I hear about the Tooth Fairy not coming at other houses. I am absolutely terrified to forget. My plan is that if it ever happens, I will say she had to take a sick day. Haha! LOVE what your mom did! That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  3. Lauren used to leave us notes. she pretty much knew it was me and nino in fact nino was the one who would leave her money under her pillow :) i should dig out the letter and post it cuz i still have one of her letters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren was such a logical thinker for a child. Ev is so into the magic. I'd be a little sad if she weren't. Do you remember the time that I lost my tooth at your house and nino left me a $20 on accident? That was awesome!! Hahaah!

      Delete
  4. That's a cute fairy little door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I leave money (and if I forget, I leave it the next day and say the tooth fairy was very busy, lol...um, not that that has ever happened ;) ).

    She looks cute w/o her tooth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just started following your blog and i loved this post so amazing your little girl is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got money from the Tooth Fairy. :( lol
    Following from The Friendly Friday Hop!

    Kelly
    http://hiccupsandsunshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's so sad. :( Do you do it with your kiddos?

      Delete
  8. That is cute! We have the tooth fairy in my house because I have lived in the USA and incorporated some things I liked into the Greek culture. Otherwise, there is no tooth fairy, there are other customs though but writing about them would make this a loooooong comment. Also, I would like to let you know that you've been nominated for the Liebster Award! Congratulations! Stop by at http://thegreekhousewife.blogspot.gr/2012/11/another-liebster-award.html to see what you need to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our children aren't yet at the tooth fairy age but I cannot wait until they get there! I hope to leave trails of fairy dust... maybe even buy the boys a little treasure chest for the exchange... So. Much. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a little treasure chest would be adorable!

      Delete
  10. How cute!! I can't wait to be the tooth fairy! Glitter will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a glitter girl, so that is one of my favorite parts. :)

      Delete
  11. This is so cute! And btw I've been following you for a while but I see you are featured over at YKIHAYHT blog-hop! Congrats! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a toothfairy pillow growing up. It was a tiny little pillow with a pocket for the tooth and a string to hang it from the door knob. When we have kids and get to the toothfairy stage, I think I'm going to do that instead of under the pillow. Knowing my luck I'd try pulling out the tooth and accidently wake the kid up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great idea! My daughter is a heavy sleeper so I don't have to worry about waking her. :)

      Delete
  13. i love the little note! one thing i did see and want to do on pinterest was using sparkle paint to cover a dollar bill with so that they think the tooth fairy's fairy dust got all over the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds adorable!! Thanks for sharing the idea. :)

      Delete
  14. Too sweet! My mom used to do things like this and they are some of my absolute favorite kid memories! I haven't gotten to play tooth fairy yet, and with a stepson, it's a tossup on whether or not I'll get to. But I DID get to play Santa AND Rudolph last Christmas! He left cookies and milk for Santa and a bowl of water for Rudolph. I got done with the presents about 4am (husband gave out at about 2) and was finally on my way to bed when I saw them still sitting on the table. So I took a huge bite out of the cookie (he can't eat every cookie at every stop you know) scribbled a thank you note, drank some milk and convinced the dog to drink some water out of the bowl and then went to sleep for a whole 2 hours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute! Yes, Santa's helpers aka Mommys don't get much sleep on Christmas eve! Very cute idea to leave a bowl of water! I have a friend who puts out carrots for the reindeer!

      Delete
  15. I LOVE the little tiny note!!! My daughter often writes notes to the tooth fairy and I keep telling her that the tooth fairy is too busy to write notes, but she loves to get yours. Honestly, she's 10 now.... I'm not sure if she's for real or playing me. :) Great idea!!

    Hopped on over from the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so sweet! I sure hope that my daughter still believes at 10. :)

      Delete
  16. That's a cute idea! My oldest just started loosing his teeth. I was pretty unimaginative though. First tooth was left in a plastic bag so it wouldn't get lost. Tooth Fairy left a note and money. When the second tooth was collected, only money was left. The tooth fairy woke up in the middle of the night because she forgot to leave the money and then forgot to add in the note.

    Stopping by from the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well at least you woke up to leave the money! :)

      Delete
  17. I like the idea of a door too! We have a bag that came with a book about the Tooth fairy, but I would rather use the plastic bag because I can put the money in a new bag and just swap them out . That makes it easier to fish out the tooth in another room. But then our dentist gave my daughter this idea…

    (I'm sorry for the shameless self promoting, but it's just easier to explain!)

    http://www.citygirlgoneranchmama.com/2012/06/tooth-fairy-wears-prada-neon-green.html

    I'm here from the TGIF hop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the fairy door idea! I still have a few more years to figure out what we're going to do. I'm sure my older daughter at least is going to love the tooth fairy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure she will! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  19. What fun ideas! Our son sleeps in a loft, and it's almost impossible to get up there. So our tooth fairy leaves money in random places. It's a game of figuring out where. Our daughter is four. We'll see how creative I end up getting when she starts losing teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my daughter is going to be getting a loft bed soon and I didn't even think about that! What a cute idea!

      Delete
  20. We leave small prizes (army men, matchbox cars,silly putty, pencils ect.) Our son always loves trying to guess what he will get (:

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter hasn't lost any teeth yet, but when I was a kid I had a tooth pillow. It had a tiny pocket on the front to put the tooth in. Your daughter is so cute! I love the fairy door.

    ReplyDelete