Sunday, December 30, 2012

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes


Recently, my daughter came up to me and said "Why do I have such fat legs? I just hate them!" I was in shock. She is 7 years old and her legs are far from being fat. Immediately I told her that she doesn't have fat legs and that they are beautiful legs, and that even if someone has big legs, they are still beautiful because that is the way God made them. And that the most important thing about her legs is that they work and take her from place to place.



As the words came out of my mouth, it hit me. I have been an awful example. I was giving her advice that I haven't been following. I'm not thin, but I'm not fat. I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle. But, like many many girls, I have always struggled with accepting myself as I am. Every year around this time, I make a resolution to lose weight. I start the year off exercising every day, extreme dieting, and I drop weight but it doesn't last because I torture myself. And how long can you really live that way? So next I go to the opposite side and eat all the things that I've deprived myself of, but then I feel sick with myself and the cycle starts over. It's exhausting. It's depressing and it's far from healthy.

Time for a new point of view

You see, I've been doing this completely ridiculous thing, that too many girls do, where I compare myself to women with completely different body types. I was looking at the "perfect" bodies of models and celebrities and wishing for the same body. Somewhere along the line, I began to believe that this is what beauty looks like, but that's not true. Beauty takes many shapes and this is just one of them.

This year I am done with it. I am never going to be a size 0, and I'm so tired of torturing myself and hating my body. I tired of obsessing.   

I know it's not going to be easy, but my new years resolution is to love my body.

When I look in the mirror, instead of allowing the internal bashing, I'm going to force myself to think about the things I love about it. Instead of hating what my body looks like, I am going to be thankful that it is healthy and functions properly. This year, I refuse to use the word FAT to describe myself. I need to love myself, not only for me but for my daughter. She needs to see that being healthy is the more important than being skinny, and that all shapes are beautiful.

The crazy thing is that no matter how thin or thick I have been, I have always had the same point of view. So I choose to LOVE my body no matter what and because I love it, I will take good care of it. I will eat to nourish and I will exercise to strengthen. God has blessed me with this able body. Who am I too deprive it or poison it or hate it? We are all different and we are all beautiful.

Remember, beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.



If you are in the same place that I have been, please, join me on my journey. I would love to hear your story. You can comment or email me at thatsuburbanmomma@gmail.com.

Happy New Year! Take Care and God Bless!


If you LOVE my blog, and I hope you do, please vote for me! All you have to do is click the banner!Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory




25 comments:

  1. I am very much in the same boat as you, and being a first time mom as of November of this year, I am still struggling to love myself after the pregnancy. Your insight has inspired me to write a future blog, that's for sure... but, I just am having a hard time getting over the stretchmarks, the adjustment of where the weight sits, and my new body shape. Your insight is refreshing and I am going to see if I can fight for me and love my body no matter what it's shape. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post! I always tell people I only started loving exercise when I started doing it to be healthy not skinny!! Now I also focus on being healthy and fit and feel more beautiful as a result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More women need to make this their New Year's resolution.

    I ran Tough Mudder this past December, and had been training for it all year. (Google it or see my blog for details.) Because I was 'training' and not 'exercising,' it totally changed the dynamic of how I saw the functionality of my body. Instead of torturing myself trying to be skinny by dieting and doing crazy cardio workouts, I thought of eating as fuel for my very grueling training workouts, wherein I tried to get faster and stronger - it was no longer simply about how many calories I burned. I'll never be the same; I love my body now like I never have before. I'm so amazed at what my body is capable of doing. I started my training being able to do do a few girl push-ups, and wasn't able to do man-style - and now I can do 25 man-style push-ups right in a row! I wish every woman could have the same experience!

    Sending love to you for your endeavor to love your body!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful resolution! We cannot teach healthy attitudes of body image to our daughters if we model self loathing. God made you beautiful and strong! Appreciate that beauty and strength, and your daughter will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said!! I was just writing about putting on weight during pregnancy and how to drop it after you deliver. I had twins and according to my doctor I will never get the body I once had back!! Who is he?! Like you said, beauty comes in many shapes and sizes! I may not have the exact body I had but it will be lovely in it's own new way!! I like you go from extreme diet to stuffing my face!! This year I am just going to pace myself. I will eat when I am hungry and will try and reduce the amount of fatty foods in my diet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So important to try to teach our children to appreciate themselves just the way they are. Its so hard with all the media:(
    Just dropping in from the Hop to meet you and am now following via GFC:)

    If you get a chance drop by, I co-host an awesome hop "Let's Get Social Sunday" where you can link up all your social sites (and your blog) to meet new friends and gain more followers:)

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/2012/12/lets-get-social-sunday-1_30.html

    Hope to see you there, and Hope you have a Very Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New Follower!!Found you via the GFC link up! Love your blog.. hope to get to know you better over 2013! If you have a second, check out my blog..http://www.kjaggers.com/ and if you like what you see.. follow back! Happy Happy New Year! K Jaggers

    ReplyDelete
  8. swinging by from the hop, loved this post. I am terrified of the day my one year old grows up to hate something about herself, especially since I am so in love with every tiny detail! I hope I can respond quickly the same way you did, and I hope that I can teach her to love and accept herself. I'm super self conscious myself, and some days I will wake up and describe myself as "gross", "fat" etc...this needs to stop. And it needs never happen in front of my baby girl. What a beautiful resolution, I'm your newest follower so I'll be joining you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this... what an amazing mom you are to try and show your daughter that you can be beautiful at any size... FABULOUS!! Thanks for linking up at the GFC Blog Hop! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! yes it is difficult isn't it when we have daughters - even if we don't comment on their body shape they can see us dieting and criticizing ourselves. We all have to make an effort to love ourselves a bit more it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I found you through the blog hop. Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. Sometimes we forget to be happy with who we are. Thanks for reminding me! Im one of your newest followers. I would love for you to check my blog out.
    http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sad, that she is already thinking that about herself. I try hard not to cut down myself in front of my kids. So hard, but good for you to change things around :) You are a good Mommy!

    julie@ Naptime Review
    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an amazing mother. Girl, I SO agree with all you wrote in this post. It is so sad to see the lies the media portrays for women. Such truth here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Following from Monday Mingle and what a great message for all woman to hear. Even my son sais things sometimes that makes me wake up and realize I need to change my thoughts and what I say. Thanks for the reminder again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post. My perception of my image is definitely something I need to work on. I am your newest bloglovin' follower. I look forward to reading more. Nice to meet you. ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    Stopping by from Naptime review hop and I love this post. I have 3 girls and years ago I learned that daughters develop their self-esteem based on the mother's self-esteem. That really hit me hard and I promised myself to stop worrying about not having the perfect body and focus on being a good person. It is hard to not be critical about one's body but it sure will help our girls develop good self-esteem.

    xoxo tiffani
    www.tiffanigoff.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this post! Just found your cute blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes of course I’m with you and I’ve faced a lot like this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your healthy attitude will be contagious and trickle down to your daughter as an example at some point. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post on loving yourself. I am your new follower. I would love a follow back http://olga-kidapproved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post! I actually think that the ladies in the Dove commercials are 100 times more beautiful than VS models! Look at the Dove ladies. They are so full of life and look so happy and healthly. The VS model has bones sticking out everywhere. Now sure, we are ALL beautiful big and small. We need to stop comparing and start appriciating our own bodies. :)
    New follower! Lovely blog!!
    http://homegrownlove101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I nominated you for a Liebster Award!! You can check out the details here:
    http://myyoungfamilylife.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. That’s’ really nice and I appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Having a daughter really changes things, doesn't it? I know I have started to see things differently and change the way I say things. I think you and your daughter will both be happier with these changes!

    ReplyDelete