Sunday, December 16, 2012

Picking up the pieces

This week has been one of the most emotionally draining weeks of my life. I have now heard about 4 shootings that have happened this week, and I can't wrap my head around it.

On Tuesday, there was a shooting at our local mall. A mall that I go to on a regular basis. I watched the news for hours and cried for the 2 lives that were lost. How could something like this happen at OUR mall? How could anyone do this?

I hadn't fully recovered from the tragedy of Tuesday when I heard about the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary school on Friday morning.

I received a text while I was teaching preschool and immediately felt like my world turned upside down. It was so hard for me to hold it together until my students left, and when they did, I fell apart. As a teacher of young children and a mother of a sweet 7 year old girl, this is so very close to my heart. Like many  across the nation I have cried and mourned for those precious children. For the adults who lost their lives trying to protect them. For their mother's who will never get to hug their babies again. For their families who will not get to see them open presents on Christmas morning. As soon as I was able, I got in my car and drove to my daughter's school and pulled her out of class and just hugged her. The thought of what those poor families are going through just crushes my heart.

Since Friday, I have just felt so completely lost. When I think about it, I just cry. I'm sad, angry, scared, and have so many mixed emotions. I thank the Lord that I still have my sweet precious girl and can't even begin to imagine the heartache the families who lost loved ones are feeling. How do we pick up the pieces after such a horrible tragedy? How will the people of Newtown move on from this? 

The only thing I keep coming back to is prayer. I am praying hard for the families who lost loved ones and for the people of Newtown to heal and begin to move forward with their lives.

If you would like to financially help the victims' families and community, there is an official fund set up by United Way of Western Connecticut. : The Sandy Hook School Support Fund will provide support services to families and the community. All donations to this fund will go directly to those affected.

Remember to be thankful for the loved ones you have in your life. Hug them tight not only today, but every day.


RIP
I didn't know any of you, but you will be in my heart always.

Tuesday December 10th, 2012

Cindy Ann Yuille, 54
Steve Forsyth, 45

Friday December 14th, 2012

Victoria Soto, 27
Lauren Rousseau, 30 
Mary Sherlach, 56
Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung, 47
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Rachel Davino, 29
Emilie Parker, 6 
Charlotte, 6 
Daniel, 7
Olivia, 6
Josephine, 7
Ana, 6
Dylan, 6
Madeleine, 6
Catherine, 6
Chase, 7
Jesse, 6
James, 6
Grace, 7
Jack, 6
Noah, 6
Caroline, 6
Jessica, 6
Avielle, 6
Benjamin, 6
Allison, 6

 

3 comments:

  1. My hubby and I cried after reading about the shooting on Yahoo! Our youngest is 5 years old and in a preschool, so it really pained us to think about the little ones across the ocean who experienced this awful event. We are also praying lots and lots for the ones left behind who have to pick up the pieces.

    I'm so glad that you weren't at the mall the day of the shooting. I'm glad that you could hold your daughter tightly to you when others no longer can. I'm glad that you can be a preschool teacher to other people's children and help them on their way to a healthy and happy future.

    God bless!
    Tina - American mom raising 4 kids in South Africa
    http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful you weren't at the mall. I haven't read much about that incident and I don't watch the news. When I read about the elementary school, my heart just ached so much for everyone involved. I cried, thinking of how the parents must feel and I cried because my mother is an elementary school teacher. I agree with you, it is so difficult to wrap my mind around this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am your newest follower from the Mom's Monday Mingle. I have been having the same emotional ups and downs. I have four children two of which are 5 and 7. I have spent the last several nights in their room crying and thanking God for my blessing and praying for those who have to suffer such a horrific pain. I am not sure how these people will ever move on. But I am like you it has to begin with prayer and God.
    Thanks for hosting the Mingle
    Love
    Patricia
    www.thettdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete