Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Beware of Banana Spiders!!!

I have one completely irrational fear.
 
SPIDERS
 
When I say irrational, I mean seriously, "what the heck is wrong with that girl" irrational. Here's a little quiz to see if you can guess the severity of this fear.
 
 
Which of the following things have I done in the past in response to seeing a spider:
A. Faint.
B. Telephone someone to come kill it.
C. Have an asthma attack.
D. Run and scream in fear.
E. B and D
F. All of the above.
 
 
 
I'm more than a little ashamed to admit that if you guessed all of the above, you are correct. I know that it's ridiculous, and I can't explain it or change it. To be honest, just writing this post is giving me the creeps, but I have to warn you of the dangers lurking in....(dramatic pause)... your produce!!! 
 
A Cautionary Tale...
Yesterday I was going about my business as usual. I often enjoy having a banana as a mid morning snack, but yesterday when I pulled my banana from the bunch there was a little surprise for me.


If you look at the  center of the banana, notice the lovely little spider nest. Being that I am deathly terrified of spiders, I instantly panicked and was terrified to go near it. One thing that freaked me out a little more, is that bananas are not grown here in the US, they are grown in countries of the tropics.
 
I googled, "spider nest on bananas", and what I found terrified me even more!
 
There were many news articles about one story in particular. Consi Taylor, a woman in the UK who discovered a spider nest on her bananas. Unlucky for her, the spiders began hatching right before her eyes. It gets so much worse... It turns out that the spiders were Brazilian wondering spiders, which according to the Guinness Book of World Records is the deadliest spider. They are commonly known as banana spiders because they hide in banana plants, and occasionally show up in banana shipments. Click here to read more about Consi Taylor's story
 
Before I even finished reading the news articles, I grabbed a garbage bag, turned it inside out and used it as a glove to grab the bananas, flipped it right side out, tied it in a double knot, and threw it out the front door. Worried that they could be the banana spiders just waiting to hatch, I called pest control thinking I'd sound like a crazy person. After hearing my problem, the woman put me on hold for a while. When she finally returned she said, "Oh, we better pick that up and send it to the lab!" Oh yeah, that made me feel much better.
 
I have no idea what they will find out at "the lab". Maybe it was just a spider at the store after the shipment arrived? Or maybe, that nest did travel from the tropics just to scare the bejeebers out of me! I have to laugh at myself a little. What are the odds that I, being irrationally afraid of spiders, would find a spider nest on my bananas. All I know is, it's going to be a long time before I'll be able to buy bananas again. If ever...
 
Moral of the story: Thoroughly inspect your bananas for spiders!
Are you afraid of spiders? If not, what is your phobia? I'd love to hear about it in a comment!